Sunday, January 9, 2011

Me Time.

On Friday I was reflecting on how grateful I am to be living in a neighborhood and not in Lancaster anymore. (In Lancaster we lived in a house apartment on a busy road.) Since Evan started kindergarten I have made friends with some of the moms around here, and one of them came over with her kids for a playdate and to give me a haircut. Playdates are always fun; I'm a big fan, but what I was really looking forward to was the haircut and the chance to hang out with another adult! It was a lot of fun and my hair is nice and cute now. Since the kids came along I can recognize that while I haven't "let myself go", I haven't kept up on things like haircuts and general physical fitness as well as I did when I was single. That's the same story for many moms (although right off the top of my head I can name a few for whom this is not an issue. But anyway, it is for me!)

In the beginning of November I got sick, and when I was released from the hospital I had a visiting nurse come by every week. On her first visit she said the only places I was allowed to go were doctor appointments and the beauty salon, the reason being that it is proven that people feel better when they feel they look good! So that is something I've been thinking about quite a bit. I know that to be true because when I worked in a nursing home, even though it was the dimensia and alzheimers unit, you could tell a remarkable difference in the patients when the got their nails done and hair fixed nice.

Maintenance on the outward appearance is only half of the equation though. You need to make the effort to be physically fit as well. Now, when I hear the word "exercise" the first thought that pops into my head is, "I. Hate. Exercising." And while I love to cook, I do not love to cook things that could be called lite or heart-smart. I am much more comfortable making Paula Deen-style foods. That had to change though, because my doctor put me on a lovely medicine that caused me to gain over 20 pounds practically overnight. So for the past week I have been spending a lot of time focusing on my diet and exercise, and I decided that sometimes you just have to suck it up and eat right and exercise even if you don't feel like it. And I found that after a couple days you start to feel better in general, and that the "I don't feel like it" feeling will go away, as will the cravings for junk food and the intense need for a loooooong nap. And after a few more days I started -gasp!- looking forward to the kids going to bed so I could work out!

How do I find time to go exercise? Well, technically I don't "go exercise". I do it in the TV room where, through our cable, we have tons and tons of free exercise videos to choose from. Last week I sat down, watched a few and tried some out to see which ones I liked best. I like dancing and yoga and there are an abundance of those. I also do not like being yelled at. I don't find it motivational; I find it irritating. I prefer gentle encouragement. I am, however, looking forward to spring when I can go for a jog or walk outside because, yes, I am too much of a sissy to do it in 20 degree weather... I am okay with that!

I highly recommend that if you are already paying for cable that you check out the exercise channels. I never thought I would say it, but it did not kill me to get my heart rate up and move around! You'll notice a dramatic difference in your mood and energy and you will be a happier person for your family to be around.

And like I hear whenever I'm being a grump, "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment