Thursday, January 6, 2011

Soup for Sickies.

Last night was a little rough. Coughing and hacking from the kids rooms, and one thrower-upper. 2 out of 3 of the boys caught whatever illness is currently going around, and of course they passed it on to me as well. Probably everyone will feel better tomorrow, especially since it is scientifically proven that chicken noodle soup makes cold sufferers feel better.
But, wait, oh no! I hadn't gone to the store in over a week! How could I make chicken noodle soup when I don't have chicken broth and some of the vegetables I need for it?!
This is when I get to be creative. I am always "creative" in the kitchen, but today I had to be especially so. A few years ago Ken labeled this "whipping something up". For example:
Him: "I want a snack."
Me: "We don't have any snacks."
Him: "Can't you just whip something up?"
So I do. And I invented many new recipes with stuff that's been hanging out in the freezer and/ or pantry for awhile that never got used. Today I whipped up some soup and it turned out great! Delicious. Here's what's in it:

Chicken Soup for Sickies
* note: I don't know how you cook your chicken, but I put mine still partly frozen into a pan with 1/4" water, salt and pepper, and cover it with tin foil. It makes for really tender chicken.

Ingredients:
*another note: This is a suggested list of ingredients. You can use whatever is in your kitchen that you think will taste good! And of course, alter the seasonings to your taste. We like salt and garlic. A lot.

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
Drippings from pan you cooked the chicken in
1 T. butter
2 ribs of celery, diced
1 cup corn
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 bag egg noodles (a standard-size bag)
8 cups water, plus 4 cups
Parsley
Salt and Pepper
*Indian Seasoning (This is what gave the soup it's yellowish color. My Indian seasoning is basically tumeric and garlic powder plus some vague "various spices". You can probably find something similar in your Middle Eastern grocery store. Mine came from a Tastefully Simple party.)

In a large stock pot melt butter and add chicken, drippings, onion, garlic and celery. Add salt, pepper, seasoning and parsley. If you use Indian seasoning, your chicken should be a pretty yellow. Again, all the seasonings are to your taste. Best to add too little than too much!
Pour in 8 C. of water and the corn and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, then lower heat to simmer. Once the soup is simmering you should give it a try and add salt, pepper, or more Indian seasoning as needed.
Pour remaining 4 C. water and the egg noodles. Keep stove on 'simmer' until egg noodles are tender. Finish up by adding seasoning if needed.
Serve to your Sickies! It's as good as medicine. Also, this makes a lot of soup; several quarts at least, and it's pretty economical because you already have the ingredients!








No comments:

Post a Comment